Since housing prices are knocking down and energy costs are increasing, it has become essential to make your home energy efficient. This will help you “future proof” your investment. It is important you adapt your home to work with the climate and not against it. Selection of appropriate concrete slab design Melbourne will provide great thermal comfort and lifestyle advantages.
Slabs are available of different types and in different forms. Although conventional concrete is the basic material used, there are other raw materials used to help reduce ecological impact intensely. The additions are just limited up to your imagination. It is better to consult a professional from a well-established company so that you get best results. They will analyze your existing home and then give you an overview of considerations before you plan for the upgrade.
Benefits of concrete slab design Melbourne
Thermal mass, which stores and re-releases thermal energy, is referred as building conditioning and this is more effective than air conditioning. This is effective in most climates, especially where there is huge difference between temperatures of day and night. Slabs can be designed so that it absorbs heat from the sun during winter days and re-radiate it many hours afterwards. However, in summer they protect you from direct sunlight and expose to freshening night breezes and night sky radiation so that heat collected during day dissipates.
The high embroidered energy of concrete slab design Melbourne can be balanced by its permanence. When the reinforcement is properly designed and placed and the concrete is placed and compacted accurately leaving no spaces or porous area, concrete slabs have unlimited life span.
Working on making it termite resistant also enhances the durability of concrete slab. So, they need to be designed and constructed in accordance with Australian standards so that it has minimal shrinkage cracking. In addition, joints, penetrations and edge of the slab need to be treated.
- Planning for concrete slab design Melbourne is generally the easiest way to add thermal mass to your home. Here passive solar design principles work together with high mass construction.
- Natural ventilation should not be overlooked so that heat stored in the slabs gets dissipated on summer evenings to provide night time sleeping comfort.
- On the other hand, in cooler places it is important to prevent warmth to escape from the edges of the slab.
- Balconies extending the main slab of the house work as a thermal bridge
- Acoustics need to be considered when designing the concrete slabs. An acoustic barrier can be added to the ceiling.
- Extension & renovation Melbourne can often incorporate concrete slabs which should be considered when designing.
In order to make the thermal mass of the concrete slab work effectively, it must match with the interior of your home. There is wide variety of finishes available which the designer will understand. In fact some solutions need careful protection of the slab while many have some level of toxicity. With environmentally preferred alternatives which need regular reapplication and buffing to maintain the lustre.
Additional heating is required when solar access is inadequate. Concrete slab design Melbourne considered hydronic heating here because it is very energy efficient and runs on low working costs.
Reactive soil, steep sites and cyclonic areas create structural issues and have to be treated properly to get desired and effective results. In fact, there are many factors needed to be taken under extension & renovation Melbourneand a professional and experienced company will be of great help here.